For most of the territory, the 2020 summer sales will begin on Wednesday July 15 at 8 a.m. and end on Tuesday August 11. For 4 weeks, traders will be able to sell their merchandise in stock, at reduced prices. One week before the start of the sales, preparing a minimum of these has become essential because it is during the first days that the offers are the most interesting.
Dates of the summer sales 2022
- Date nationale : from Wednesday 22 June to Tuesday 19 July 2022
Note that for online commerce or distance selling (e-commerce), the dates of the sales are aligned with the national dates traditional trade, regardless of the location of the company’s headquarters. These dates will apply to all departments of metropolitan France, except Alpes-Maritimes (06) and Pyrénées Orientales (66): from Wednesday July 6 at 8:00 a.m. to Tuesday August 2; as well as Corsica (2A and 2B): from Wednesday July 13 at 8:00 a.m. to Tuesday August 9.
- The 2022 summer sales in the Overseas Territories
In Overseas, the dates of the sales are as follows:
- Guadeloupe (971): from Saturday September 24 at 8:00 a.m. to Friday October 21.
- Martinique (972): from Thursday October 6 at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday November 2.
- La Réunion (974): from Saturday February 5 at 8 a.m. to Friday March 4.
- Saint Pierre-et-Miquelon (975): from Wednesday July 20 at 8 a.m. to Tuesday August 16.
- Saint-Barthélemy (977): from Saturday October 8 at 8 a.m. to Friday November 4.
- Saint-Martin (978): from Saturday October 8 at 8 a.m. to Friday November 4.
Do some scouting at the merchants!
A few days before the start of the promotions, it’s time to do your scouting on your favorite e-commerce sites. To do this, make a list of products that interest you and note their current prices. Indeed, during the sales, the sellers must imperatively indicate the discount offered in relation to a real reference price, and they do not have the right to increase the price of a product before the sales period. Thus, when the sales begin, you can quickly find out if the reductions are really interesting, and choose the best offer.
Outside the legal sales periods, traders can organize commercial operations to empty their stocks, provided that they do not use the word “sales” and that they do not resell at a loss.
Set your budget
To make sales without wasting time, it is important to know the limits of your budget. This will allow you to avoid purely impulsive purchases, but if sometimes it’s complicated! If you know what you want, you can easily estimate how much you can spend. It is then enough to set a limit not to be exceeded, to find the very good prices, and so you may be able to do some extra.
What is the difference between sales and other discounts?
Clearances are the only promotional periods when traders are allowed to sell their stock at a loss. They meet 3 characteristics:
- They are accompanied or preceded by advertising.
- They include an announcement of price reduction (which can go as far as a resale at a loss) within the limit of the stock to be sold.
- They are practiced during fixed periods of 4 weeks (summer and winter sales) whose dates are set by the Commercial Code.
Watch out for traps
During sales, merchants must clearly distinguish between products that are on sale and those that are not. Sale products must have been offered for sale and paid for at least 1 month before the start of the sale. Indeed, traders do not have the right to bring in products especially for the sales! Also note that warranty limitations on sale items are prohibited, since the warranties are similar to those for non-sale products.
Whether the item was purchased on sale or not, the consumer may return the product to the seller for exchange or refund, without any penalty, within 14 days of delivery.
Sales at different e-merchants
As with each sales period, the brands, whether physical or online, will offer their best offers and discounts.
What you need to know about our good plans
This content is brought to you by the experts at JDG.
The editorial staff did not participate in its production. It is possible that this publication contains an affiliate link: the e-merchant can then pay us a commission (for you, nothing changes). The prices mentioned in this article are subject to change.